1 Samuel 24 – 2018-11-23
- Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
- Bible Text:1 Samuel 24:1-7 (ESV)
1 When Saul returned from following the Philistines, he was told, “Behold, David is in the wilderness of Engedi.” 2 Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel and went to seek David and his men in front of the Wildgoats’ Rocks. 3 And he came to the sheepfolds by the way, where there was a cave, and Saul went in to relieve himself. Now David and his men were sitting in the innermost parts of the cave. 4 And the men of David said to him, “Here is the day of which the Lord said to you, ‘Behold, I will give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.’” Then David arose and stealthily cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. 5 And afterward David’s heart struck him, because he had cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. 6 He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord’s anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the Lord’s anointed.” 7 So David persuaded his men with these words and did not permit them to attack Saul. And Saul rose up and left the cave and went on his way.
- Reflection & Application: 1 Samuel 24:1-7
- Reflect on David’s amazing self-restraint here. Although all arguments would have been in favor of the advice given by his men in v. 4, and the time to act was immediate, David was able to reject their advice to kill Saul.
- What non-negotiable principle must David have already adopted to be able to make such a quick and firm decision at a time when circumstances and the advice of his men seemed to all point in one direction?
- What spiritual and ethical non-negotiables have I adopted to guide me during pressing times when persuasive-sounding arguments and opportune circumstances can conspire to lead me astray?
- What about David’s personality is revealed from the fact that, though he did not intend to harm Saul, he still “stealthily cut off a corner of Saul’s robe”?
- What lesson does this have for me?