- Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
1 Timothy 1:11-20
[…] 11 in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.
12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
18 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, 20 among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
Reflection & Application
1 Timothy 1:11, 18
- How did Apostle Paul view the Gospel? What are some things that have been entrusted to me and how should I view those things? Am I stewarding well the things entrusted to me?
1 Timothy 1:12-14
- Whom does Apostle Paul with helping him be able to faithfully serve God? For what purposes do I seek God’s strength? When have I experienced being strengthened by him?
- Fill in the following for yourself, and reflect on your testimony of how God has saved you:
“Though formerly I was a _________________________, I received mercy […]”
1 Timothy 1:15-20
- What does Apostle Paul’s life illustrate according to v. 16? Why is this an important lesson for me to learn?
- Why did Apostle Paul give Timothy the instructions that he did? What was the consequence for those who had rejected Paul’s instructions? What can we infer about the word of God and our steadfastness in faith?