Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
1 Timothy 6:1-10
1 Let all who are under a yoke as bondservants regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled. 2 Those who have believing masters must not be disrespectful on the ground that they are brothers; rather they must serve all the better since those who benefit by their good service are believers and beloved.
Teach and urge these things. 3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4 he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5 and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
Reflection & Application
1 Timothy 6:1
- How significant a consideration is it in my life whether or not God’s name and the church’s teaching are reviled or slandered?
1 Timothy 6:2
- Why would Christian slaves show less respect towards their Christian masters? In what ways do I take advantage of my relationships with other believers?
1 Timothy 6:6-7
- How can a person be content with just “food and clothing”? In what ways am I discontent with my life and what does this reflect about my attitude towards God?
1 Timothy 6:9-10
- Why would a person who wants to get rich “fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires”?
- What illusions about money do people who want to get rich have? How does eagerness for money cause a person to wander from the faith?