Please use one of the prompts below to get your journaling started.
- Explore your fears and what’s behind them.
- Write about a relational conflict you are experiencing.
- List out all that you are grateful for.
- Recall a significant reaction, conversation or event.
- Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
Bible Text: Romans 1:18-23 (ESV)
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
Reflection Questions to help us go deeper
- According to these verses, what happens when people know who God is, yet fail to respond to him appropriately? Why are these natural consequences to not responding to our knowledge of God?
- Note the “exchanges” described in the text. What is so tragic and absurd about these exchanges?
- Are there areas of my life in which I have “exchanged” a God-given blessing with something that is inferior? What consequences have I reaped from these “exchanges”?