- Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
Luke 8:16–21 (ESV)
16 “No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. 17 For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. 18 Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away.”
19 Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. 20 And he was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you.” 21 But he answered them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.”
- If the lamp stands for the word of God, what lesson and warning does this passage contain about how I should listen and apply what I hear?
- How does Jesus’ response challenge the world’s view of family?
- What does Jesus’ redefinition of human closeness reveal about God’s vision for Christian community?
- Who or what kind of people would be threatened by Jesus’ view of relational closeness, and who would be encouraged and comforted?
- What is the basis upon which I feel kinship and closeness to someone?