- Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
Luke 10:38–42 (ESV)
38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
- Reflection Questions
- Luke 10:38-40
- Reflect on the scene of Martha, doing so much but feeling bitter and resentful toward everyone. What could Martha have done differently?
- Have I experienced resentment that I am doing some thankless task?
- Do I sometimes create situations with my own actions in which I end up casting myself as an unappreciated victim?
- What can we learn about the difference between Martha’s and Jesus’ evaluation of Mary’s priorities?
- What is the “one thing” Jesus is referring to?
- What are the “many things” in my life that distract me from focusing on my relationship with God?