Mark 10- 2020-11-04
Please use one of the prompts below to get your journaling started.
- Explore your fears and what’s behind them.
- Write about a relational conflict you are experiencing.
- List out all that you are grateful for.
- Recall a significant reaction, conversation or event.
Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
- Bible Text: Mark 10:17-22
17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” 21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
Questions to help us go deeper
- What fundamental misunderstanding regarding salvation does this man’s question reveal?
- Why does Jesus tell him to go and sell all he has and give it to the poor? How is it a loving thing for Jesus to ask this of him? What does the man’s response reveal about what was really in his heart, despite his external obedience to the commandments?
- What is my relationship with wealth? Am I placing my hope in treasure on earth rather than treasure in heaven?