Mark 11- 2020-11-12
Please use one of the prompts below to get your journaling started.
- Explore your fears and what’s behind them.
- Write about a relational conflict you are experiencing.
- List out all that you are grateful for.
- Recall a significant reaction, conversation or event.
Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
- Bible Text:
11 And he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple. And when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve.
12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.
Questions to help us go deeper
Note: The fruit of the fig tree appears around the same time as the leaves, or a little after.
- What is the symbolic significance of this incident, given that in the Old Testament, the fig tree often serves as a metaphor for Israel?
- What was Jesus hungry to find on the fig tree? What fruit of being a Christ-follower is Jesus hungering to see in his people today, whether in my life or in our church?