Mark 15- 2020-12-21
Please use one of the prompts below to get your journaling started.
- Explore your fears and what’s behind them.
- Write about a relational conflict you are experiencing.
- List out all that you are grateful for.
- Recall a significant reaction, conversation or event.
Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
- Bible Text:
16 And the soldiers led him away inside the palace (that is, the governor’s headquarters), and they called together the whole battalion. 17 And they clothed him in a purple cloak, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on him. 18 And they began to salute him, “Hail, King of the Jews!” 19 And they were striking his head with a reed and spitting on him and kneeling down in homage to him. 20 And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the purple cloak and put his own clothes on him. And they led him out to crucify him.
Questions to help us go deeper
- It was Roman custom for a criminal to be flogged before crucifixion, but this mock homage was improvised. What can I learn about human nature from the soldiers’ treatment of Jesus?
- The soldiers’ mockery of Jesus as “King of the Jews” is both grotesque and ironic. By what criteria did they decide to mock him rather than worship him as king?