Part 4) Follow: Life of Obedience
“The call of Jesus is the call to come and die” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Explore your fears and what’s behind them.
- Write about a relational conflict you are experiencing.
- Recall a significant reaction, conversation, or event.
- List out all that you are grateful for.
Here are some tools to help you with the devotionals:
Bible Text: Mark 1:16-20
16 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19 And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.
- The call to discipleship is captured in Jesus’ invitation: “Follow me.” What does this reveal about Christian life?
- Compare catching fish to catching people. How does Jesus’ calling expand the vision for my life?
- What did the disciples need to leave behind to follow Jesus? Are there things I am challenged to leave behind?
- How does the fact that Jesus called ordinary people to follow Him encourage me today?